Wits Medieval Hons
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Teacher, The Writer, The Woman

Go down

The Teacher, The Writer, The Woman Empty The Teacher, The Writer, The Woman

Post by RobynduPreez Fri Aug 24, 2018 11:09 am

The Teacher, The Writer, The Woman

“But God forbid that you should say or assume that I am a teacher, for that is not what I mean, nor did I ever mean it; for I am a woman, ignorant, weak, and frail. But I know well that I have received what I say from him who is the supreme teacher … just because I am a woman, must I therefore believe, that I must not tell you about the goodness of God when I saw at the same time both his goodness and his wish what it should be known?” (xvii)

In this essay, Julian of Norwich’s portrayal of the feminine, the homely and the authoritative are discussed. Beginning with the depiction of women within the medieval context, this essay considers how Julian’s own perspective of herself as a woman ties in with the womanly, homely and the domestic space of this context. In perspective of the woman as inferior, this essay considers the paradox presented by Revelations of Divine Love in that, through being meek, humble and feminine, the woman writer is presented as a teacher and authoritative testifier of her faith. Her particular meekness and humility is then compared to that of Christ’s; who she described as the true teacher, and all powerful God. Nonetheless, her God is described as a motherly, nurturing and loving figure. This essay then considers how such an exploration of the Christian Deity positions the author as the teacher of the vision that her God bestowed upon her, as a woman.

Texts:
1. Revelations of Divine Love by Julian of Norwich (Including Introduction)
2. “Authority and the Female Body in the Writings of Julian of Norwich and Margery Kempe,” by Liz Herbert McAvoy
3. The Exploratory Image: God as Mother in Julian of Norwich's Revelations of Divine Love, by Sarah McNamer
4. The Merchant’s Tale, by J. Chaucer

RobynduPreez

Back to top Go down